5.2.08

choir is fun!

I found out yesterday that I am in Groupe C for the DEFLE evening courses, which means that I can't go back to the jazz workshop :( However, Carly and I went to check out the other choir last night, and this is the one I'm going to join. It was actually really fun-- the instructor is really funny and also really talented, and although she's not super-strict, she does expect us to listen and pay attention. It was especially funny and also a little awkward when I got there, because as I was waiting for Carly to show up, the instructor told everyone to pair up to start the "massages." So a girl came up to me and asked if I wanted to pair up with her, then proceeded to tell me to bend over and let my arms hang loose so she could do some slapping and tapping on my back. Now, I'm getting used to kissing people that I don't know (only on the cheeks: that's the French custom instead of shaking hands), but this was getting just a little too personal. Thankfully, it turned out OK and another girl joined us so that we could do the "massage" on the other girl. And Carly came soon thereafter, and the singing started.

It was cool to be somewhat of a celebrity in the class just because we spoke English. We started this English song called "Peace I Leave with You," which is a verse of the Bible put to music and repeated over and over in harmony. It actually sounds really good once it's all put together, but the only problem is that in the song, every second word has a "th" sound, either voiced or unvoiced, and as you may know, it's very difficult for a French speaker to pronounce this sound. It took me a few minutes to clue in to why when we were supposed to be singing "not as the world giveth," I was hearing "not as the world givess." And later, "neither let it be afraid" became "neizer let it be afred". I couldn't help laughing... and everyone else laughed too when the instructor pointed it out. She asked us English speakers how to properly pronounce it and we all practised sticking out our tongues to make this difficult sound. It was a pretty fun time and I'm excited to go back next Monday.

Whoa, this post is really short compared to my other ones, but I think I needed to give you all a break from the novels I've been writing evey week. So, I'll try to do this more often.

Special shout out to Melissa Moreau, who sent me my first real snail mail item from home! I was so pumped to get your card, even if it was a "Félicitations" card for my "new bundle of joy." Hey, it was in French! That's all that matters. Thanks!

1 comment:

kleighto said...

I would loved to have been a fly on the wall during your "massages". I'm glad that you're having such a great time.

On a side note, I was asked to go to Indonesia by my pastor, so I'm going for the month of May. I'm pretty excited!