26.3.08

joyeuses pâques everybody!

Easter Monday I had the privilege of being invited over to Laura’s place to partake in a real French Easter meal! I’m not going to lie: it was AMAZING!!!! Let me describe this meal and f then let’s see if your mouth isn’t watering by the end of this post:

We had the apéritif first, which is a pre-dinner drink, a little stronger than wine, along with some little snacks. After that we went to the dining room table, where I kid you not, we stayed sitting for the next 4 ½ hours! There we had the cold entrée first, or appetizer. It was smoked salmon in lemon juice and dill, French devilled-eggs (similar to our version, only more mayonnaise and some tune mixed in there), and broccoli that was marinated in something delicious. After the cold entrée came the dish of ris de veau (veal) and the escargots. The escargots were cooked, and I really wanted to try them, since I’m in France and all. Laura’s dad showed me how to take the shell in my hand and scoop out the insides with a toothpick, only when I pulled it out, it was a little longer (and curlier) than I anticipated, and I totally freaked out! (I was partly shocked, partly grossed out). Everyone laughed at the foreigner and her dad quickly took my plate away so I wouldn’t have to look at what was left on my plate. So that was my experience tasting escargots. I wonder if I’ll be able to taste oysters this weekend in Arcachon…

After the entrée, we had the main course: lamb and roasted potatoes… mmm mmm! I’ve had lamb before, but Mme. Chilon made this rack with some mixture of seasonings that made it taste delicious. She actually used to be a chef, so this meal was vraiment magnifique! Keep in mind that with every course there was wine to be drunk and of course a replenishment of pieces of fresh baguette. I myself had one glass of red and one glass of white wine with the meal.

After the main course came the cheese course. Laura’s mom brought out a huge platter of about 8 different kinds of cheeses (“only good cheese" she informed me), which we got to eat with more baguette and a little salad. Mmm I love French cheese!

Last but not least came the dessert: an invention of the cuisinière which is hard to describe, so I’ve attached a picture of it. The dessert doesn’t have a name, but if I had to name it, I’d probably call it something along the lines of “Strawberry-lemon-crème-layer-furnished-with-fresh-mint-leaves-amazing-goodness.” As if that weren’t enough, she’d also baked fresh canalés, including chocolate flavoured ones. The best way I can describe them is that they little fluffy cakes with a glaze on the outside. I attached a pic of them, too.

Needless to say, I was full for the rest of the day. I was super-content because I had had my first real French meal with a French family and it was hyper-hyper-délicieux! When Laura’s mom said, “A la prochaine! [Till next time!]” I answered with an emphatic, “Uhh... Oui, oui, bien sûr!” (Like I'd say no to coming again!) It would be awesome to go back some time, with cooking like that! I’ll let you know if that happens.



No comments: